Richard Carroll attended Dartmouth College and received a B.A. in 1976. He graduated from Pepperdine Law School in 1984. Richard is one of the founding members of Carroll, Kelly, Trotter, Franzen, McBride & Peabody. After a short career trying criminal cases, Mr. Carroll undertook professional malpractice defense in 1986 and helped form Carroll Kelly Trotter Franzen & McKenna in 1994. He has zealously represented the defense of a variety of professions for 30 years.
Richard has tried and arbitrated disputes as lead counsel in over 200 cases. Richard is a Diplomate with the American Board of Trial Advocates and has served on the Executive Board of ABOTA in Los Angeles for over 10 years. He was also pleased to serve as the ABOTA Los Angeles Chapter President in 2006.
Richard has also been inducted in the American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College of Trial Lawyers is composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada and is widely considered to be the premier professional trial organization in America. These organizations are by invitation only and are comprised of the most experienced trial attorneys in the country.
- Richard has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the "The Best Lawyers in America" from 2007 to present.
- He has been nominated as a Super Lawyers each consecutive year from its inception to present.
- America's Top 100 Attorney's
- Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. Richard was nominated as Lawyer of the Year in 2015.
- He has also served for two years as the President of the California Medical Legal Committee, an organization of 60 invited defense lawyers from all over the State of California.
Richard has also spoken throughout the United States on various topics involving trial skills and defense strategies in professional malpractice claims. He has participated in numerous “Masters in Trial” presentations both in California and Nevada. He has also lectured to the Annual California Judges School.
He has also been written up in the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the 10 finest medical malpractice attorneys in Southern California. Most recently, Richard and the firm were featured in Forbes magazine as the premier malpractice firm in Southern California.
In 2015, Richard was honored as a Champion of Justice by Loyola Law School as a lawyer who embodies the spirit of the civil justice system through his exceptional legal career. He is a recipient of the Lee Wenzel Civility Award for excellence in trial and possessing the highest moral character. Richard has achieved the AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell – the highest possible rank. Richard has also been selected as a California Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters from 2005 to the present.